Saturday, May 26, 2012

Today I'm Thankful for Naptime.

Today was one of those days. One of those days where I'm pretty sure Bean woke up on the complete wrong side of her bed. If she was older I would have told her to march back to her room and start over with a better attitude. But, she's little and wouldn't have understood if I just placed her back in her crib and walked away. Though, there were a few times when I wanted to.


Instead, this is the face she gave me 90% of the morning. I asked her to lay down so I could change her diaper and she glared at me. I asked her if she was hungry and she glared at me. I asked her if she wanted a banana and she glared at me. I put her in her highchair to eat breakfast and she literally sat, glaring at me, for about 10 minutes before she took her first bite. Then she dragged out breakfast for an hour. An hour to eat half a banana and half a whole grain waffle with peanut butter on it. She normally eats a full banana and a full waffle. Not today. Today she glared at me. She asked to read some books and every single one she handed me I'd get about half way through it before she'd take it out of my hands and throw it on the floor. She brought me her baby doll and a baby doll outfit. I asked her if she wanted me to change her clothes. She nodded. I completed the wardrobe change in record time and enthusiastically gave her her baby back. She looked at her baby, kissed her, then tossed her on the ground and glared at me as she walked out of the living room. I suggested about a dozen different activities before lunch time and she would just glare at me in response to every suggestion. I even went so far as to sit down on the floor next to her with the crayons out and the coloring book and I started coloring. I tried to engage her. Tried to talk it up, telling her how much fun I was having. She literally got up, stepped about two feet away from me, turned her back to me and sat back down. Lunchtime came and she ate her food just fine (thankfully!), but then when she signed "all done" and I went to her to wipe her hands and face clean she refused to give me her hands and tried with all her might to turn and jerk her head away from me. It was like trying to wrestle a wild animal. After her lunch I changed her diaper (again.... it was a nightmare with her refusing to cooperate) and then scooped her up, covered her in kissies, and told her it was time to take a 'snooze'. She arched her back and freaked the freak out. I tried rationalizing with her. I tried holding her in a bear hug while I told her it was ok, and told her I would get her Bunny and read her a couple books. She continued to tantrum. So, I scooped her back up, kissed her, told her I loved her and laid her down. I turned her music on and walked out, closing the door behind me. I turned the monitor up in my room and walked out to the living room. Before I got situated on the couch she was asleep. She slept for 2 hours.

I opened her door, she saw me, scrunched her eyes closed tight, and pretend snored really loud. I couldn't help myself, I cracked up laughing. She popped right up, laughed with me and then asked to be picked up. She laid her head on my shoulder, patted my back and said "Momma" before giving me a kiss on the lips. That nap gave me my sweet baby back! Hallelujah!!!

The rest of the afternoon and evening she was in a great mood. Dinner went well, she ate 3/4 of her dinner before making a fuss. After dinner playtime went well. Bath time was a blast - she played with her ducks, splashed and danced along while I sang The ABCs, and discovered her reflection in the shower knob and cracked up at herself for about 10 mins straight.

she kissed each duck after lining them up. ♥
crappy cell phone pic, but it's too funny!

I have friends whose children gave up napping completely before they turned two. I cannot imagine that. I need her to continue napping. At least for a (long) while. She needs those naps to re-set her 'tude. I need those naps to unwind and relax. I can't even, don't even want to, imagine how today would have gone if she didn't take that nap.

Today, I'm thankful for naptime. I was so happy to have my happy Squishy Bean back.

No comments: