Friday, August 24, 2012

Foodie Friday

This won't be an every Friday thing because I don't cook/bake fancy new recipes very often, but when I do - and it's one I want to share - I'll share them on Fridays as to not muddy up my family blog with food posts.

After berry picking last weekend I quickly realized that I picked more berries than I could eat before they went bad. I began searching Pinterest for baked goods that used raspberries. I pinned a lot of recipes, but decided on baking this one because I already had all the ingredients in the house. :) Bonus: It's vegan, which means I get to lick the spoon and bowl after I put the muffins in the oven without worrying about salmonella. Hahaha!

I made the recipe found on egglesscooking.com and it was really easy. I did substitute grapefruit zest for the orange zest it called for, but you can't really taste the citrus once the muffins are cooked so I'd imagine you could use any citrus zest you have on hand.

Vegan Cornmeal Raspberry Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 And 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 Cup Cornmeal
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar
  • 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • Orange Zest From One Orange (I used one grapefruit)
  • 1 Cup Raspberries, Fresh (If you use frozen, don't thaw first)
  • 1 And 1/4 Cups Almond Milk (I used coconut milk)
  • 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C for 15 minutes. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. Mix together the almond milk and vinegar; set aside for a couple of minutes until it curdles.
  3. In a large bowl combine together the dry ingredients including the orange zest. Take 2 tablespoons of this mixture and
  4. combine it with the berries, in a separate bowl. This will avoid the berries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
  5. In another bowl whisk together the curdled milk mixture, oil and vanilla extract.
  6. Gently fold in the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir in the berries. Do not over mix the batter.
  7. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, about 2/3rds full. I got only 11 muffins for the above measurement.
  8. Sprinkle some sugar on top of the muffins. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
  9. Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
 
They were a hit in my house. The texture is really great and I love that they're not super sweet. They have some sweet crunch from the sugar on top, they have some tart from the raspberries, and the cornmeal adds a really nice flavor. I still have more raspberries in the fridge, I see another batch of these in our future!

1 comment:

Amy said...

At first I saw this after reading Ashley's post and I thought to myself, "they are trying to kill me with cupcakes I can not have". then I actually read the post and realized that YOU are actually trying to kill me with muffins so its all good. Muffins. FTW.