Monday, November 25, 2013

Grandma Godin's vegetable soup recipe

Fall is officially here and winter is right around the corner.  That means we have space heaters going around the clock, I'm never NOT wearing socks, and I want bowls of soups and homemade bread at least once a week. Growing up my mom would make lots of meals that were her mother's recipes; old-fashioned comfort food types of recipes. I've never been a fan of those types of meals. You know the type - stews, roasts, meatloaf, etc. I'm not a meat-and-potatoes, "sticks to yer ribs", type of gal. However, my Grandma's vegetable soup is one recipe that I always looked forward to. I used to ask my mom to make it, along with a loaf of bread in the bread maker. Let's be real here, I still ask her to make it. Food always tastes better when your mom makes it for you.

Now that I'm a grownup with a husband and 2 kids of my own I decided to buck up and ask my mom for my Grandma's recipe. She shared it with me, and I decided to post it here in case anyone else was in the market for a delish, easy, homemade vegetable soup recipe. I will say, that it's easily customizable. The original recipe calls for beef broth, but being a vegetarian I obviously use vegetable broth. The original recipe doesn't include carrots, and I know for a fact that my mom ALWAYS put diced up carrots in our soup. Feel free to change it up using ingredients that you have on hand, but it's nice to have my Grandma's actual recipe to use as a blueprint. ♥



No comments: